- MR MERKEL: ...So this amendment made it clear that you had to be in detention on a full-time basis. So that is in the extrinsic materials. So there was no question if someone on parole or on home detention would not be caught by the disqualification and that comes out as a result of that definition.
- Can I take your Honours next to Part VIII of the Act starting at page 122 dealing with - - -
- KIRBY J: So Paris Hilton would now be disqualified, but last week for a short time she would have been entitled to vote?
- MR MERKEL: Yes, your Honour, and she would have been entitled if she were in Australia and an Australian citizen to be standing here unburdened by the five-year point at least.
- KIRBY J: I just wanted you to know that I follow these things.
- SOURCE: Roach v Electoral Commissioner & Anor  HCATrans 275 (12 June 2007)
Page 1 of 1